The University of Iowa

Emergency Information

Hazardous Materials Incident

A hazardous materials incident may be a spill or release of chemicals, radioactive materials or biological materials inside a building or to the environment. Simple spills maybe managed by trained persons or persons who are familiar with their department’s spill protocol. Major spills or emergencies require emergency assistance from an outside responding agency.

Simple Spill

  • Does not spread rapidly
  • Does not endanger people
  • Does not endanger the environment, outside of the spill area
  • Trained individual or an individual familiar with their spill protocol

Major Spill

  • Spreads rapidly
  • Presents an inhalation hazard
  • Does endanger the environment
  • Involves a personal injury or requires a person to be rescued
  • Must call 911

Emergency Procedures

  • Evacuate and assemble at a safe distance
  • Account for individuals
  • Wait for and provide information to responders

Notifications and Reporting

Incident involving any radioactive materials, notify:

Radiation Protection Section in the Environmental Health and Safety Office at 335-8501 (for all hours)

For a major chemical spill, notify:

Environmental Health and Safety Office at 335-8501 during business hours (M-F 8-12 a.m. and 1-5 p.m.) University Police at 335-5022 during non-business hours

For an incident involving an oil spill, a release of hazardous material into the environment or beyond University boundaries, or asbestos inside a building or structure, notify:

University Environmental Manager, at 335-6190, during business hours University Police at 335-5022, after business hours.